Skip to main content

Footnote Summit 2013 (#footnotesummit)

Well, the FootnoteSummit has come and gone...


Yesterday, I had the good fortune to be one of those able to attend the FootNote summit 2013, my company sponsored me, of course, just before tickets ran out.

Those who had the good fortune to attend, were wowed with statistics and information regarding Digital Publishing both nationally and internationally. We were treated to an awesome lunch, a "free" touchscreen stylus, a "free" 3 month subscription to Getaway Magazine ... a "free" lunch, and an awesome opportunity to make friends.

Friends were made...

I had the rare opportunity to make friends with another "techie" named Arthur Atwell. We chatted a bit about his Paperight business, and I was able to shed some light for him on how to make EPUB3 documents... I have only recently discovered that it's possible to take an EPUB2 file and massage it into a valid EPUB3 file by a tedious process of manual editing... This is a post for another day though.

Cards were exchanged

If any of you have watched a romantic comedy (or romcom) as it is widely known, you will undoubtedly remember a scene of some young woman exchanging numbers with some your guy ... much to the guy's excitement. That is kind of what happened at the FootnoteSummit, but in this case everyone was exchanging business cards... I swear, I have never seen so many people swapping business cards at one time in my life...

Sadly the fun was over

At the end of the day, we had been wooed and wowed with presentation after fantastic presentation. There were global representatives from all facets of the digital publishing industry present to knock our socks off with demos of awesome new technologies...

But all the fun had to come to an end as the day closed at around 15:30, just enough time for us to beat the traffic in C.T 

On the plus side, I was pleased to discover that in South Africa, I am one of the few people who understands how to take an existing EPUB2 document and edit that file so that we end up with a valid EPUB3 eBook, it's quite astounding to know that most people don't understand how to go from version 2 to version 3 without paying exorbitant fees to have the book redone...

Well, I enjoyed myself and learned a lot, le't hope that we are able to attend the summit next year too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A few thoughts on Game Development

For those of you who follow my blog, you'll notice that I talk about building games, but I never really release anything useful or fully playable. I'm more interested in studying the individual parts of game development, without really caring about building a game as a whole. Well, for the most part this is perfectly acceptable, as I'm not a game developer by trade, and my bread and butter comes from being a utility developer. I've defined utility developer as someone who codes a variety of things without specializing in any specific discipline. As a self-taught developer, it's been hard for me to pivot into a role where I'm classed as a game developer by trade. This is all good and well, but I still want to talk about game development as a whole - specifically how to get a game off the ground. If you've been following any blog about game development, or any programming course which walks you through the process, you've most likely heard of all the jar

Finding a Game Engine is Hard

Well, if you're new here - congratulations on finding the most useless blog on the planet. If you're not new here, thanks for coming back to another installment of "And he just keeps moaning!", this weeks episode deals with how hard it is to select a Game Engine for your development needs. As I've mentioned in the past, there are many things to consider when developing a game: Storyboarding Specification document Game Engine Resources (art / sound / levels) Time constraints Return on Investment Since I've preached about the Specification Document all throughout my last post , I'll save you a little bit of reading by saying it's nearly the most important part of the entire process - nevermind having a compelling game - without the specification document, nothing gets built. Storyboarding is kind of like the specification document, but it allows you to draw little screens of the game as you imagine it to be, without too much detail.

Letters to my wife in case I don't make it part 1

 My dearest wife, The world has been so cruel to us. First the world was hateful towards you in your youth, it hated me too in my teens. Next, the world took its sweet time keeping us apart for all those years. When we finally found each other, we were both already well spent from a lifetime of struggle. As if to add insult to injury, we've barely had the shortest decade together and now the world is ending. The world sits on the brink of war, while our beloved homeland sits on the brink of economic collapse and starvation. The sweet fragrance of the flowers of our youth has been replaced with masks as disease ravages our world. No more flowers will bloom when the last bee dies. Through all this, I've found you, and it's been fun. If the world takes me before I can say it: "I don't know what comes next, but I promise to find you in every lifetime. I'm so sorry that you might live this lifetime without me, I'll make it up to you in the next one, pinky swear.